3 Ways to Honor Memorial Day through Corporate Philanthropy
May 15, 2017 - Nita Kirby
“Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices.” – President Harry S. Truman
Memorial Day, often confused with Veterans Day, honors the men and women who died while serving in the US military. Originating during the Civil War, Memorial Day was declared a federal holiday in 1971. While businesses across the nation are closed, giving their employees the three-day weekend start to summer, it doesn’t mean you can’t observe and incorporate this day into your total CSR strategy.
Take a look at some quick and easy ways to get your workforce behind the true meaning of Memorial Day and beyond barbeques and boating. Check out these 3 ways to turn your everyday corporate philanthropy programs into ones that honor our heroes and she-roes.
Bring attention to charities built around supporting our fallen troops. FallenPatriots.org, for example, raises money to provide college education to the 20,000 children who have lost a parent who was an active serviceperson in the military over the last 35 years.
Did you know?
- 97% of casualties are men, leaving behind single mothers to care for their families. Of those families, 60% report having trouble making ends meet.
- The average gap in funding is $32,000 per child for a complete college education.
- Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation has provided over 10 million dollars in scholarship assistance and supported over 630 scholars of fallen service members since 2002. (FallenPatriots.org)
Start a week-long employee giving campaign running up to Memorial Day to boost donations to this wonderful cause or others like it! Even a little healthy competition between teams or other departments can help boost participation and help your organization make an even bigger impact.
Company-Wide Day of Service
The Friday before Memorial Day weekend is the perfect day to get your team out of the office and doing something good for the community! Company-wide day of service is in fact the most successful volunteer program most companies have. No wonder, when…
- 77% of Millennials would prefer to volunteer with their coworkers
- 39% of managers would be more willing to participate in cause work if the CEO also participated
- In one study, 53% of employees said a job where they can make an impact is important to their happiness.
Find a local VA hospital, homeless shelter, USO center or other venue where Veterans may benefit from to dedicate your company-wide day of service to!
Host an In-Office Event
Aside from gift-matching and volunteering, fundraising events to benefit servicemen and servicewomen who lost their lives or even your local veterans is a great way to honor Memorial Day. Check out a few of these last minute ideas you can throw together in just a week!
- T-Shirt Drive
- Food Drive
- Memorial Flower Donations for Gravesites
Have more time to spare or want to start planning for next year? Check out the rest of these corporate fundraising ideas!
Remember, Memorial Day is all about honoring those who have served our country and have gone before us. Make an incredible impact this Memorial Day with one of our last-minute tips!
Want to stay up to date with all CyberGrants has to offer? Subscribe to our blog below!